Lets brush up on the basics first. The class 1 lessons will give a nice overview of the animal life.
Differentiating animals based on their eating habits
- Eat only plants.
- They have strong and broad back teeth to grind food.
- Examples :Elephant, cow, deer, horse etc
- Kill other animals and eat their flesh
- They have pointed teeth to tear their flesh
- Examples : Tiger, wolf, lion etc
- Eat both plants and animals
- They cannot digest some of the substances in grains or other plants that do not produce fruit. They can eat fruits and vegetables, though.
- Examples : Crow, Dog, bear etc
- Eat the flesh of dead animals
- While they eat them, they break them into small bits. In this process, flies, wasps and cockroaches are scavengers.
- Earthworms are also scavengers, but they only break down plants.
- Examples : Hyena, vulture, jackal, cockroach etc
Differentiating animals based on their movement
- Animals like rabbits, bear, lion etc have four legs and can run/walk on land.
- Animals like snake, earthworm , snail etc do not have legs and wriggle on land
- Birds and insects fly in air with the help of their wings
- Fish , whale . dolphins etc swim in water with the help of fins.
Uses of animals
Food from animals
- Animals like cow , buffalo, goat etc give us milk .
- Hen, ducks give us eggs
- Animals like chicken, goat , fish , crab etc give us meat
- Honeybees give us honey and wax
Clothes from animals
- Silkworm give us silk
- Wool comes from animals like rabbits, sheep, goat, camel and yak
- leather is made from the skin of dead animals
Manure and fuel
- The waste (dung) of animals like cow, buffalo, horse , goat and camel is used to make manure
- Dried dung is also used as fuel
- Animals like donkey, camel and horse are used to carry loads
- They are also attached to carts to carry people from one place to another
Help us in growing crops
- Oxen hep in the farm to plough the fields
- They also help to draw water and thrash grains.