Earth is made up of hard matter called rocks. They come in different shapes, colour and size. Rocks are found under the soil, in rivers and seas. They are solid material made up of one or more minerals.
Rocks can be hard ( granite) or soft (chalk)
Some important rocks :
Granite is a light-colored igneous rock with grains large enough to be visible with the unaided eye.
It is the most common igneous rock found on the Earth’s surface
Granite is composed mainly of quartz and fedspar with minor amounts of mica and other minerals. This mineral composition usually gives granite a red, pink, gray, or white color with dark mineral grains visible throughout the rock .
Before starting lets take a look at the Grade 1 lessons
Human beings: Good habits
Safety: Safety rules
Safety: Traffic rules
Safety: Activities and worksheets
Safety rules at home :
- Do not play with match sticks, scissors, switches, plugs , fire, knives etc
- Keep things in proper places afetr using them
- Immediately inform an adult if you get hurt
Safety rules on the road
Housing and clothing
A quick look at the Grade 1 lessons
Human Beings:Different rooms in the house
Human Beings : Clothes we wear
A house is a place where we feel safe. It protects us from the sun, rain, wind, wild animals and thieves.
Types of houses
- These houses cannot be shifted from one place to another
- People build these houses according to their needs.
- Huts are made of mud, straw, wood , bamboo and clay and are not very strong (also called kucha house in india)
- Flats and bungalows are made of bricks , cement, steel and concrete(mixture of cement, sand,small stones and water). These are very strong. (also called pucca house in india)
- Houses that can be moved easily from one place to another.
- These are also called portable houses.
- They are easy to make and cheap
- Tent : Made of nylon or canvas.
- Used by soldiers and campers.
- Houseboat : House made on boats that float on water bodies.
- Caravan : A house on wheels is called a caravan
Some tips and tricks to start multiplication which will help you in knowing your times tables. I followed this approach with my daughter (she is in grade 1 rt now) and am very happy with the results. She does not have any apprehensions of which table is asked and does a quick mental maths if she does not know the answer.
Tips to approach the concept of multiplication :
I explained these concepts using lego pieces . You can use anything small and handy.
- Now that the kids know 2 digit addition the best approach to start multiplication is by asking them to do repeated addition. Ask them to count the objects in groups of 2 then 3 and so on.
- Once they are thorough with repeated addition you can ask them to do skip counting.
- Ask them to divide the total number of objects into equal groups.
- Arrange the total number of objects in an array of row and column.
Below is a figure to illustrate how multiplication can be introduced to kids.
Sample papers for class 1 IMO
Reasoning tips and tricks
Finding the odd one out
Step 1 : Look out for common things
Step 2 : Find a pattern in the similarities
Step 3 : Which one is different and why ? Cross out the similar ones.
Step 4 : Mark the answer .
What comes next
Step 1 : Look at the changes / similarities between each diagram
Step 2 : Look for a pattern in the changes
Step 3 : Do the different changes one at a time.
Step 4 : Look out for the right option