Listing down some methods to simplyfy addition.
- Doubles (such as 6 + 6)
- Near doubles: Try adding a double and the remainder. Solve 7 + 6, (6 + 6+ 1) or (7 + 7 – 1).
- Making a ten or a multiple of 10: To add 7 + 6, I can take 3 from the 6 and put it with the 7 to make 10 and 3. This holds good even with multiples of 10 like 20, 30 40, etc
- 1 more, 1 less: Show problems such as: 8 + 1, 51 + 1, and 6 – 1, 22-1
- Place value Decomposition: 35 + 22 can be decomposed into tens and ones 30+20 added to 5+2. Or 35 – 22 can be decomposed to 30-20 plus 5-2.
Pictorial representation of the strategies above :
Food Decay and Preservation
Bacteria and fungi are the main groups of decomposer organisms. Food decay is also known as food spoilage.
Bacteria and fungi need Food , Warmth and Moisture to grow.
There are several ways to stop or slow down the decay of foods. This is known as Food Preservation.
Food preservation methods
Bacteria cannot reproduce at low temperatures.
Bacteria and fungi need warmth to grow. In low temperatures they stop growing.
Following is the list of food preserved by freezing;
- Fresh foods
- Cooked foods
Removing water prevents the microorganisms from growing, or digesting the food.
Some tips and tricks to start multiplication which will help you in knowing your times tables. I followed this approach with my daughter (she is in grade 1 rt now) and am very happy with the results. She does not have any apprehensions of which table is asked and does a quick mental maths if she does not know the answer.
Tips to approach the concept of multiplication :
I explained these concepts using lego pieces . You can use anything small and handy.
- Now that the kids know 2 digit addition the best approach to start multiplication is by asking them to do repeated addition. Ask them to count the objects in groups of 2 then 3 and so on.
- Once they are thorough with repeated addition you can ask them to do skip counting.
- Ask them to divide the total number of objects into equal groups.
- Arrange the total number of objects in an array of row and column.
Below is a figure to illustrate how multiplication can be introduced to kids.
Sample papers for class 1 IMO
Tips and Tricks
1.Hunt for the common English prefixes and suffixes – sets of letters that commonly occur at the beginning or end of a word.
Common Prefix – ‘a’,’de’,’di’,’per’,’un’,’in’,’up’ etc
Common Suffix – ‘ s’,’en’,’ed’,’ing etc
2. Once you identify a potential suffix you can make with your letters, remove those letters from the pile and see what you can construct with the remaining letters. Eliminating even a few of the letters by grouping them into a prefix or suffix makes it a lot easier to unscramble the word by reducing the number of possible solutions.
Reasoning tips and tricks
Finding the odd one out
Step 1 : Look out for common things
Step 2 : Find a pattern in the similarities
Step 3 : Which one is different and why ? Cross out the similar ones.
Step 4 : Mark the answer .
What comes next
Step 1 : Look at the changes / similarities between each diagram
Step 2 : Look for a pattern in the changes
Step 3 : Do the different changes one at a time.
Step 4 : Look out for the right option